Saturday, May 30, 2009

Rounding-Up

My girls had a softball game last night, and we didn't get to bed until midnight. Usually, if my girls go to sleep at midnight, they sleep a little bit later the next morning. Well, today was an exception. Their dad woke them up as the sun was coming up. They jumped out of bed and put their clothes on in a flash. There was no need to coax them to get their clothes on or to brush their hair. They did all of this in a matter of minutes and rushed out the door. What was the motivating factor? They get to help a local rancher round-up today. It's one of their favorite past-times. They get to go because they actually help the men! They've been doing this for several years and they are only 9, 11, and 12 years old! They'll probably come home with a slight sunburn, a few minor scratches, and great memories. Any chance they get to do things like this with their dad, they jump at the chance. Mark is an exceptional dad to our 3 girls. He's gentle yet firm; fun-loving yet strict... He balances his roles as a father very well, and I'm grateful for that.

Yesterday, when Mark told them they were going to round-up today, I said, "Oh great! What time are we leaving?" They just looked at me, laughed, and said, "Yeah, right!" They know their mom better than that! Yes, I have come a long way after living on a ranch for 12 years, but I haven't come that far! My horse's name is Wheeler, better known as the 4-Wheeler! I feel it's a much safer mode of transportation. Needless to say, they didn't get their horse riding skills from their mamma!

Over the years, I have eased into ranch and rural living. Let me explain... I no longer start convulsing when I see a millipede crawling across the road (I hate worms!)... I no longer run from a docile cow who's eating grass in a pasture... My heart no longer pounds out of my chest when I ride a horse...Spiders and scorpions are almost considered housepets...I allowed Mana and Kater-Bug to have a hamster...We have a little dog who comes inside our house and sometimes sleeps in our bed (as long as he's not on my side, I hate ticks and fleas)... I know how to drive a tractor...I know how to pull a trailer...I know how to saddle a horse. Of course, the list could go on and on, but I don't have all day! ha! Living out here has been a great experience for all of us. It's something I don't take for granted. Well, I guess that's all for now. I've got to fix a windmill, mend a fence, and break a few horses before the cowpokes get home! ha! Actually, I'm going shopping. It's my favorite past-time! Ssshhh! Don't let the others know!

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up!! I am very proud of you...Mrs. Ranch Diva! :) I love reading your blog. It always makes me laugh. You need to start putting more pictures. I would especially like a picture of you breaking the new colt. ha! God knew best by switching what we had planned in our heads as kids. I think you make a better rancher wife than I would have. Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones