Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Riverwalk

After a few days of being away, I'm back to the real world. One of the perks of Mark being on the school board, is the school board convention every summer. I probably get the better end of the deal because I get to do whatever I want and he has to go to class. The past 6 years we've stayed at the Marriott on the Riverwalk, but this year we stayed at the Hyatt, right across the street. Poor baby, I had to walk across the street every time I wanted to go to the mall. I had so gotten use to the mall being connected to our hotel! See what a little urban living does to a country gal, it makes her a little spoiled!

My itinerary is usually something like this:
Wake-up whenever I want (usually 7:00), walk down to Starbuck's in the lobby and grab a bran muffin, a banana, & small coffee, read by the pool, in the room, or by the river, get dressed and go shopping at the River Center Mall, have lunch, go back to the room and read or watch t.v. Then, Mark arrives and we usually find something to do, have supper on the Riverwalk, & go back to the room and watch a movie. Aaahhh...life is good on the Riverwalk!

Although, I added something new to my itinerary this year. I took advantage of the "oh so cool" gym every morning, and I didn't eat every meal like it was my last. I tried to incorporate these two new habits into my little vacation. You know how it is, when you're on vacation, it's like calories don't really count. Well, I'm here to attest that they do! Unfortunately my stomach is the by-product of this myth!

Last year Mark couldn't make the convention in San Antonio, so he went to the Dallas TASB Convention in the fall. Of course, I tagged along. Dallas was great, but I'm a San Antonio-kinda-girl. I like familiarity, and I don't like having to drive to get to the place you want to go. That's why the Riverwalk is ideal for a person like me. That being said, now I'm going to contradict myself. With the help of a new gadget in our lives, I ventured out of my little world to find the nearest Target. Come on, I like deals and I just wasn't finding any at the mall! So, with my keys in hand I made my way to the parking garage. I HATE those kind of places. I always feel like some body's going to jump out at me. That's why I hold my keys like a weapon. I would actually kind of feel sorry for anyone that tried to "jump" me. I would probably embrace my inner "psycho" and open a can of crazy on him. Needless to say, he would probably run like mad, holding an eyeball in one hand and holding his crotch with the other!

Well, anyway, I made it safely to my car. I jumped in it and locked it right away. Then I pulled a dear little friend out of my purse. Her name is Meg. No, she's not an imaginary friend. I was never into pretend people. She's our GPS! We are finally moving up in the world. I typed in Target and pressed go! I was secretly wishing she'd drive for me, but, hey, I can't have it all! As I made my way out of the parking garage, I wondered which way I should go because Meg wasn't talking to me. Then I realized, it was a one way street, so I could only turn right. I was off! I'm like, "O.k. Meg start talking to me girl. I'm not sure where I should go now! (insert crickets chirping) I almost called her something that a nice girl like me should never utter! Then the unimaginable happened! Meg said she needed to be turned off and then restarted! So, I drove a little further and found a place to park. After saying a quick prayer, I restarted it and prayed that it'd work this time. It wouldn't stick to my windshield, so I held it on the dash with one hand and drove with the other!

I've got to admit my relationship with Meg is a love-hate kind of thing! One minute I hate her and the next minute she pulls through and is the greatest invention for a directionally challenged girl like me! Although, I questioned her several times. I came to the conclusion that she probably grew up in the hood and wanted to revisit her old stomping grounds because the back roads she was taking me on would make Jackie Chan a little nervous! I love the way she "dings" when you do what she says. After several minutes, which seemed like a lifetime, I finally arrived at my destination...TARGET! I was still a little concerned about the hood I was in, so I found a parking place right up front! I stayed in Target for over 2 hours! It was nice. I had no time limit. I love to window shop. My life will never be the same after buying the things I purchased: a t-shirt, 5 marshmallow skewers, a band-aid kit for my purse, a cute little journal and a sticky pad to put on my dash for Meg to sit on.

Meg worked perfectly on the way back and I did a pretty good job at maneuvering my SUV through S.A. traffic. We finally started to "jell" and made a pretty good team (with the help of a few savvy angels).

This is the part that's pretty amazing. I was indecisive about telling Mark about my little rendezvous to Target. Well, when I pulled into the huge parking garage downtown, my exact same parking place was available! I know this was God. He knows my sense of direction gets a little off at times and if I had to park somewhere else we'd probably still be looking for our car! Of course, I ended up telling Mark about my expedition into the urban jungle. Amazingly, he didn't ask any questions, but I told him all about it anyway.

When I got to my room, I pulled out my new little journal and entitled it, "My Dream Journal." I answered a few questions from the YOU CAN DO IT book to get my "juices" flowing. Yeah, I know it's a little corny, but it has got me dreaming and planning new things for my life! It's exciting to think that we can all do anything we set our minds to do, with the help of Christ! The first step is getting it down on paper. I'll talk more about this later.

Although we'd like to have stayed one more night, we had to cut our stay a day short to get back home. The girls had a rodeo on Friday night. Oh well, we'll always have the Riverwalk...

3 comments:

  1. You crack me up! The only thing I am really questioning is the part about embracing your "inner" psycho! Not so sure about the inner part but I'll let you slide on that one. ;)

    I would have to vouch and say people should be afraid...very afraid...if they try to do something to you in a dark alley or shall we say...Galveston! And let me tell ya...It is every woman for herself. Poor guy, he thought we were entrepreneurs and could spare a little money! HA! What a memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! The Galveston story is a whole other incident. I'll have to blog about it one day. Crazy-fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like SO much fun! I'm glad you got to do it! I enjoyed reading this. I hope you and Meg become happier together. :)

    ReplyDelete


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones