Sunday, June 28, 2009

Rhinestone Cowgirl

Most of the time I can put up a pretty good front when I'm at a rodeo with my girls. Just because my girls are exceptional riders, I wear cowboy boots and can pull a horse trailer to these dusty events does not mean that I know a thing about horses! Although, I am learning a little more every year. For instance, when Mana was 5 she really wanted to ride her horse but Mark was not home. I always wanted their dad to be around when they rode. Well, she kept after me so I said, "Alright, go find that horse book you got for your birthday. I think it has instructions on how to saddle a horse." At the time, I told her not to tell anyone that I had to read a book to learn how to saddle a horse! Well, we got Baby saddled and the rest is history... Now, all 4 of us go to rodeos together, even when Mark has to work. O.k., o.k., I can't take too much credit. My girls round-up their horses, catch them, put them in the trailer, saddle them, and take good care of them at the rodeo. My job is to iron their clothes, do the little one's hair, and drive them to the rodeo (again, just if Mark's working).

I've learned that it's not a good idea to wear boots to a rodeo. When I wear boots people assume that I know a thing or to about horses. I don't go all out and wear shirts that say, "My True Love Is A Horse," or anything like that. I may wear boots and the occasional cowgirl bling but that doesn't mean I know how to ride that thing (a horse)! Now, that needs to be on a t-shirt: BOOTS AND BLING DON'T MEAN I KNOW HOW TO RIDE THAT THING! Anybody that really knows me knows that I'm a little skittish around horses. Well, the other night when we were at a rodeo a lady comes up to me and asks me if I could hold her daughter's horse because she's at the concession stand. I was thinking, "You've got to be kidding me, can you not see the look of terror in my eyes!" Before I could say, "I'm sorry I can't," the people pleaser inside of me took over and I smiled and said, "Sure." Then it was just me and this 900 pound beast. I was praying that he'd act right and just stay put. Because believe me, if he would have started acting up I would have let go of the reins and ran for cover! He tried to move around on me a little bit, but I tried my own version of being a horse whisperer. It was nothing like you see in the movies, it was more like, "In the name of Jesus, please act right and be still." After about 10 minutes I was getting a little irritated. I knew they weren't making steaks made-to-order in the concession stand, but that chic just kept standing there at the concession stand and there was no line! Finally, my dad walked up to me and said, "Who's horse is that?" I pointed over to the girl in front of the concession stand. I asked dad if he'd hold it and he said he would. Aaahhh! Dad to the rescue. At that moment, my blood pressure went down and my hands quit shaking. After 10 more minutes the girl walked from the concession stand with her goodies in hand. I grabbed the horse from dad, and walked her horse to her. She said, "Oh thanks!" She was probably wondering what a complete stranger was doing holding her horse. I was wondering the same thing! I guess it's back to flip-flops at the rodeos! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones