Friday, October 9, 2009

Morning Routine

Last night I dreamt that an irrational number really was insane and beat me over the head with a percent sign!! Aaahhh! I can't get away from this math "stuff"! I'm still substituting for Jr. High math. I have one more week to go. I guess you can say I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I'm going to miss seeing and interacting with the kids everyday. But, on the other hand, I'm really looking forward to fulfilling my domestic duties (to the 10th power), at home! I've fallen a little behind on my laundering duties since I've been working full time, staying in town (late) for practices, and going to v-ball games, and football games! Oh well, I guess I've done a semi-alright job, seeing as no one has had to wear dirty socks or underwear!



One thing that I was concerned about (that might suffer) if I took this long-term sub job was our morning routine. I love mornings. I guess you could say I'm a morning person. I like waking up before everyone else, getting clothes ironed and breakfast made all while have a pleasant and non-rushed attitude. For the past 7 years, since my oldest went to Kinder, we have had a morning devotion and prayer time while eating breakfast. It just starts the day out right. Occasionally, when I'd subbed in the past, my morning dialogue was devoid of "amens" and filled with "hurry-ups!" I was bound and determined that our morning schedule was not going to be derailed because I had to work for 5 weeks. Fortunately, I'm here to say that we've had a devotion and prayer time every morning, with a little something new thrown in. I set my alarm for 5:00 every morning. I get up, shower, get dressed and put my make-up on. At 5:30 I turn the TV on and watch Joyce Meyer (one of my favorite Christian teachers) while ironing the girls' clothes. These are the clothes they lay on the couch the night before. After ironing, I make breakfast, set it on the table and light a few candles. Then I wake the girls up. Luckily, we all like to eat breakfast when we wake up. They stumble to the table and sit down. We've been having candlelit breakfasts since the regular light is just too bright first thing in the morning. After breakfast, they get ready in the living room where Joyce Meyer comes on, again, at 6:30. They've enjoyed listening to her in the mornings, and they don't complain about watching preaching instead of cartoons! Amazingly, our mornings have been so smooth! I've only had to use the word "hurry-up" a couple of times since school started!!

Of course, there are some mornings when at least one child likes to help build my character! For instance, clothes might not have been picked out the morning before and "she" doesn't like what I've picked out, breakfast isn't to "her" liking, or "she" can't find her shoes. In the past, these little situations would have really irked me, since they know the rules...clothes should be picked out the night before (if not, I pick them out!), if you don't like the breakfast I make then go find something yourself w/0 complaining, and shoes go in the baskets behind the door! Well, let me tell you, it's kind of hard to lose my patience when I'm getting ready to read a devotion or scripture, about to pray or when Joyce Meyer is in the background saying we need to love more!

Basically, I want to remain loving, considerate, and patient even when schedules are a little more hectic, and saturating the mornings with God has helped tremendously! I feel like this 5 week sub job is like a dress rehearsal for what is to come within the next year or two...maybe a full-time teaching job (not Math!). Since I've passed the morning routine, I've just got to figure out a way to get warm brownies on the table when we all get home! Can you believe that's one reason why they don't want me to work! "Who's going to make us a snack when we get home?" :) Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones