Saturday, October 24, 2009

Throw Out The Pacifier

Just because I once sucked a pacifier when I was a baby, doesn't mean I should suck on one as an adult. Just because I looked good wearing the latest styles in high school doesn't mean those styles still look good or even fit me as an adult!!

We all change and grow and just because something "worked" for us at one stage in our lives, doesn't mean we should still keep doing it. You won't see me walking around with a pacifier in my mouth, and I don't fit into the same jeans as I wore in high school. But, that o.k.! First of all, people would probably send me to a psyche ward if they saw me with a pappy in my mouth, and my girls would be embarrassed to sit next to me in church if I tried to fit into and wear the same outfits I did as a teenager!

With that being said, as Christians, when we are trying to reach that next spiritual level why do we look back to what we once had? Have you noticed in the fashion industry that about every 20 years a certain style makes it way back on the racks in stores? As Christians, we can actually learn from this! Styles come back but with a different twist. The style has usually been revolutionized a bit. (The 80's style is back, but with a millennium twist) In the same way, we can look back at a time when our walk with God was "on fire," and use certain instances or lessons we learned in the past to revolutionize our spiritual thinking to the next level.

We might of had a wonderful Sunday School teacher, been a part of an awesome youth group, or experienced a dynamic christian seminar or retreat and that's great. But, that was for a season in our lives. Those could have been great learning times, but we can't stop there! We have to press on to a new level. I don't want to ask God to revive what I once had, I want Him to revolutionize my spiritual thinking so I can serve Him better!

"Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil. Therefore, let us leave elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity..." Hebrews 5:13-14, 6:1

"Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the Lord." Lamentations 3:40

3 comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones